Preservation
Document and care for historical materials, places, photographs, and community knowledge.

Select a numbered location on the map to open a completed panel or online history.
Heritage location 08
Historic north-shore cove and cannery landscape
PIHS's cannery research identifies this north-shore inlet as John Dan's Cove, formerly known as Factory Cove. The recorded names use “Dan,” not “Dann.”
The present working account says Prince Edward Islander John Dan MacLeod and a group of Prince Edward Island fishermen established a lobster factory at the cove. Two more factories followed, making this shoreline part of the island's wider lobster-canning landscape. The surviving evidence does not yet provide firm opening dates, complete ownership sequences, or surveyed factory coordinates.
Google Maps confirms Josh and Julia's Way running north from Pictou Island Road beside the Community Centre and Old Barn Way running south from the main road immediately east of the Centre. Both local road names are now shown on the illustrated map as geographic reference points; no access status is implied.
































































































About the Society
Incorporated in 2016
The Pictou Island Heritage Society was founded in 2016 by a dedicated group of seasonal and permanent members of the Pictou Island community. It was incorporated under the Nova Scotia Societies Act on September 26, 2016, registry number 3301771.
The original plan was developed by Directors Bill MacMillan, Jane MacDonald, Lorne Matheson, Gary Faryniuk, and Skip Hamilton, with a management team that included Caitlin Banks, Janice Faryniuk, Lorne Matheson, Kay Langille, Brenda Spence-MacLeod, and Joyce Halasz.
PIHS documents, archives, researches, protects, and shares the past, present, and future of the island community. Its work includes Gaelic and Celtic oral traditions and the history of fisheries, agriculture, transportation, community life, landmarks, documents, photographs, and artifacts.
Vision: Knowledge of Pictou Island's unique history and past culture is preserved and known by future generations.
Mission: To promote understanding, appreciation, and conservation of the island's early and modern history—its stories, legends, documents, artifacts, and heritage places—for current and future generations.
The Society's first major project was the Heritage Site created to house the historic Pictou Island iceboat and other island memorabilia. Its work continues through interpretation, preservation projects, research, events, fundraising, and community collaboration.
2026–2030 direction
Document and care for historical materials, places, photographs, and community knowledge.
Make island history understandable through interpretation, programs, and digital heritage.
Support events, partnerships, recognition, fundraising, and strong Society governance.
Membership and participation
Members participate in the life of PIHS by attending General Meetings and the Annual General Meeting, electing Directors, receiving reports on activities and finances, volunteering, contributing knowledge, and supporting Society projects.
PIHS recognizes General, Honorary, and Life Members. The Board has four to six Directors elected annually, and officers are chosen by the Board from among the sitting Directors.
Find PIHS in the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies (Registry ID 3301771) →Join and support PIHS
Membership connects you with the Society's work. Additional financial support helps PIHS preserve records, photographs, artifacts, heritage places, interpretive exhibits, and community stories.
General membership runs from one LobsterFest membership period to the next. Membership supports participation in Society meetings, elections, reporting, and volunteer activity.
Ask to join PIHSOnline card payment will open after the PIHS Stripe account is connected.Choose an amount to support the Society's heritage and community work. This is a voluntary contribution to an incorporated society, not a charitable donation.
Ask how to support PIHSNo charitable tax receipt is issued. Online card payment will open after the PIHS Stripe account is connected.Society leadership
The Society is volunteer-led. Its membership honours people whose knowledge and service have made a lasting contribution to Pictou Island heritage.
Recognized for two years of student work supporting the Society's formation, establishing Heritage Day displays, developing donation and loan-documentation processes, and helping PIHS build its early structure and operations.
Recognized for his extensive knowledge of Pictou Island history, his assistance in checking historical details, and his ability to connect documented facts with the human stories behind them.
Recognized for early financial support, long-term North Nova Fisheries assistance with LobsterFest, coordination and preparation of donated lobster, transportation help, and decades of support for the island fishery and community.
Ron MacDonald is the Society's sole Life Member.
Island history
Pictou Island has been inhabited since the early nineteenth century, growing to more than 220 full-time residents at its peak. Beginning in the 1940s, people increasingly moved to the mainland to reach services and employment. Regular classes at the island school ended in 1971, accelerating the departure of families, although the community centre later returned to part-time classroom use.
An influx of young adults arrived in the 1970s, but the island gradually became a small permanent community with a much larger seasonal population. More than two centuries of pride, stories, photographs, documents, artifacts, and heritage places remain to be preserved.
Share information or identify a photograph →Settlement and population timeline
This accessible text table replaces the former timeline image and preserves its dates and historical account.
| Date | Milestone | What changed |
|---|---|---|
| October 15, 1761 | First Crown grant | Pictou Island was granted to Alexander McNutt, William Caldwell, Richard Caldwell, and Arthur Vance. |
| 1770 | Land forfeited | The Crown officially forfeited the ownership of Pictou Island. |
| 1798–1802 | The Barra settlement | A group known as the Barra settlers was sent from the Isle of Barra, Scotland. Governor Wentworth relocated them for a short period to the shores near Pictou, after which they moved to Cape Breton and Antigonish. Whether the group formally established itself on Pictou Island remains uncertain. |
| 1809 | Cochrane grant | Pictou Island was granted to Admiral Sir Alexander Forrester Cochrane. The grant included the island and land extending below the high-water mark. |
| 1814–1817 | Irish settlement | Sir Cochrane sent three Irish families—Boyd, Hogan, and Morris—to settle the island in 1814. The 1817 census recorded Cummings and additional Boyd and Morris families. |
| 1819–1820 | Scottish settlement | Scottish Highland settlers arrived, including John MacDonald, Donald MacDonald, and Charles Campbell, followed by relatives and other immigrants. |
| 1828 | 59 residents | After the early Irish and Scottish settlement periods, approximately 59 people lived on Pictou Island. |
| 1820s–1840 | Farms and land ownership | Settlement continued through the next decade. Residents were tenants of Sir Cochrane until the island passed to his son, Sir Thomas John Cochrane. Islanders then purchased 100-acre lots, many of which remain recognizable today. |
| 1861–1911 | A stable island economy | The population held near 161 during a successful period for agriculture, fisheries, canneries, and quarrying. After 1911 it rose to 197. |
| 1921 | Population peak | The island reached an historic high of 225 residents. It had an established economy, schoolhouse, and transportation system, and many Islanders who married elsewhere returned to live on the island. |
| 1950–1970 | 151 residents | Population declined as canneries closed, island fisheries changed, and families anticipated the loss of the school. More Islanders moved to the mainland. |
| 1971–1972 | School closure and change | Regular classes ended in 1971, and the effects of the school closure continued through 1972. Families moved away or arranged mainland schooling, and the permanent population fell sharply. In 1974, a small group of young people moved to the island and worked in the fishery. |
| Today | Permanent and seasonal community | Pictou Island remains home to a small permanent population and a much larger seasonal community of residents, families, and visitors. |
Population figures in the former timeline were attributed to Kenneth MacCallum's 2009 history of Pictou Island. Current permanent population changes over time, so the final entry is described without a fixed count.
Flora and Fauna Guide
Explore the living natural heritage of Pictou Island and the ecological and cultural stories carried by familiar species.
Featured species
A familiar Island shrub with deep roots in ecology, folklore, traditional knowledge, and popular culture
Across Pictou Island, red elderberry is one of the most familiar shrubs of summer. It grows abundantly beside roads and trails, around old clearings and fields, and wherever the woodland canopy opens enough to let in the light.
Known scientifically as Sambucus racemosa, it is easy to recognize once its fruit appears. Its many stems carry compound, sharply toothed leaves, while dense clusters of glossy red berries stand out vividly against the Island’s green woods.
Red elderberry is native to North America and grows naturally in forests, woodland edges, openings, rocky slopes, and other disturbed or partially open ground. Its ability to sprout from the root crown and maintain seeds in the soil helps explain why it can quickly appear after cutting, storms, fire, or other disturbances.
For people, the berries may look inviting. For birds, they genuinely are.
Many fruit-eating birds consume red elderberries and help spread the seeds. Other wildlife also use the shrub for food or cover. Its branches provide nesting and perching sites, making the plant more than a colourful feature of the understory.
On Pictou Island, a fruiting elderberry shrub can become a small seasonal feeding station. Birds arrive, eat, move on, and carry the seeds into other parts of the landscape.
That relationship offers an important reminder: a plant being valuable food for wildlife does not mean that it is safe food for people.
Ethnobotanical records describe red elderberry being used as food, material, and medicine by some Indigenous peoples in parts of North America. These traditions belonged to particular communities, environments, and knowledge systems; they were not one universal “Indigenous practice.”
This distinction matters for a Pictou Island history feature. Evidence of red elderberry use by peoples of the Pacific Northwest or other regions should not automatically be presented as evidence of traditional Mi’kmaq use on Pictou Island. Establishing that connection would require Mi’kmaq-specific oral history, ethnobotanical research, or community knowledge.
Historical medicinal use must also be separated from modern medical evidence. Elder plants have been used in many healing traditions, but this history is not a recommendation to prepare or consume wild red elderberry.
Current food-safety guidance is particularly cautious about Sambucus racemosa. Its leaves, bark, stems, seeds, and raw fruit can contain cyanogenic glycosides—natural compounds that may cause poisoning. Home food-preservation guidance advises against using red elderberries because their toxin levels may be higher than those of some other elder species and have not been studied adequately.
One unusual feature of elder shrubs is their thick, soft interior pith. Red elderberry twigs contain a solid core of spongy tissue that can be removed more easily than the heartwood of many other shrubs.
The English name elder is often connected to the Old English word aeld, meaning fire. According to this explanation, hollow elder stems were once used as tubes for directing air into a fire—an early form of blowpipe or bellows.
This history should be treated as an explanation associated with European elder traditions rather than as proof that Pictou Island’s red elderberry was used in precisely the same way. What can be observed directly is the physical characteristic behind the story: a light branch surrounding a broad, spongy centre.
The folklore most often associated with elder developed around European elder species, especially black elder, Sambucus nigra. When Europeans encountered related elder shrubs in North America, the familiar name and many of the old stories travelled with them.
In European traditions, elder possessed two opposing natures. It could protect a house from harmful spirits, storms, and misfortune, yet damaging it without respect could bring bad luck.
English and Scandinavian folklore told of the Elder Mother, a guardian spirit believed to inhabit the tree. Permission was traditionally sought before cutting its branches. The elder could therefore be imagined as both protector and avenger: generous when respected but dangerous when mistreated.
That dual character may reflect the tree’s importance to earlier communities. A plant that supplied food, medicine, useful stems, wildlife habitat, and rapid new growth would have been worth protecting.
The elder’s old reputation for powerful and unpredictable magic found a modern expression in the Harry Potter stories.
Within the fictional world, elder is described as an exceptionally rare wand wood with an unlucky reputation. The Elder Wand—made of elder wood and containing a Thestral-hair core—is one of the three Deathly Hallows and is described as the most powerful wand of its kind.
The choice of elder fits remarkably well with centuries of folklore concerning danger, protection, death, respect, and supernatural power.
It would, however, be an overstatement to say that any one specific Elder Mother legend has been proven to be the author’s direct inspiration. The safer conclusion is that the fictional wand belongs to a much older cultural landscape in which elder wood was already associated with magic, uncertainty, and consequences.
Red elderberry is not rare or hidden on Pictou Island. Its familiarity is precisely what makes it worth noticing.
It tells several stories at once: an ecological story about disturbed woodland and hungry birds; a material story about soft, pith-filled stems; a cultural story about how people have understood and used plants; and a folklore story carried from European woodlands into modern fiction.
The next time bright red fruit appears along an Island road or woodland trail, pause for a closer look. A common shrub can still be a living historical artifact—rooted in the Island landscape while connected to stories that stretch far beyond it.
Have you photographed red elderberry elsewhere on Pictou Island? Share your observations with PIHS and help us document the plants, habitats, and seasonal changes that form part of the Island’s natural heritage.
Share an Island observationGhost stories and myths
Accounts reflecting Celtic traditions, island beliefs, and tales passed through generations.
Enlarge & zoomThe White Lady is the best-known ghost story in Pictou Island folklore. Several versions have circulated through the community.
The most familiar account tells of a young island woman who fell in love with a sailor visiting Pictou Island. They became engaged before he left for the fishing season. His ship encountered heavy weather near the island and did not return. The woman continued walking the island road and shoreline, hoping to see the vessel come home.
Stories passed down on the island describe a young woman in a long white gown appearing along the main road and beaches. Other versions connect the White Lady with a child lost early in life and describe her searching the road for the child.
The details vary, but the image of a solitary white-clad figure waiting and searching has remained part of island storytelling for generations.
Historic image courtesy of the Pictou Historical Photograph Society via NovaStory.ca.Card parties have long been a popular Pictou Island pastime. During the period when the island was a more isolated community, several gatherings could take place in one evening and draw neighbours from across the island.
Sunday, however, was traditionally observed as the Sabbath and a day of rest. The community generally refrained from holding card parties on that day.
A cautionary tale tells of a Sunday card party attended by a quiet stranger. A visitor was not unusual in a fishing community, and the game continued until cards fell beneath the table. When the players reached down to retrieve them, they noticed that the stranger had cloven hooves rather than ordinary feet.
The stranger was understood to be the Devil. The story served as a warning to anyone tempted to disregard the Sabbath for a game of cards.
Enlarge & zoomA forerunner is a premonition, event, or sign believed to warn of tragedy or a death. Belief in forerunners is found throughout Nova Scotian folklore and reflects older Celtic traditions carried into island communities.
Pictou Island stories describe periods of uneasiness or distress before sad news reached the community. Horses that pulled the island hearse, livestock, and household animals were sometimes said to become upset or unusually difficult to manage.
Other accounts describe doors or windows moving unexpectedly while a family prepared to leave a home after a death. More dramatic versions include apparitions or unfamiliar sounds heard around the home of the person concerned.
Whether understood as experience, coincidence, or superstition, forerunners became part of the island's shared cultural memory. The Hearse House now protects the historic island hearse and preserves a physical connection with these stories.
The Hearse House was built by the Pictou Island Community Association.The Phantom Ship is a Maritime legend associated with Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the Northumberland Strait. Pictou Island residents have reported sightings, particularly from the east end.
Its supposed origin changes from one telling to another. Some describe an emigrant ship from Scotland that failed to reach Pictou. Others associate the vessel with the War of 1812 and believe it was destroyed by fire in the Strait.
Island accounts describe an old-fashioned sailing ship that appears to glow as if its rigging and sails are burning. It may remain visible for some time and then seem to drift away with the tide without changing its shape or apparent size.
No single explanation has displaced the others. The mystery of the vessel, as much as the sightings themselves, has helped the Phantom Ship endure in island folklore.
Panels and online histories
Five locations have completed interpretive panels. The Schoolhouse and Lobsters and Canneries are presented as map-linked online histories that can grow as new information and photographs are received.
01Completed panelConstructed in 1853 and first lit in 1854, the East Lighthouse was the first lighthouse on Pictou Island. The white, pepper-shaker-style tower stood at the island's east end. It was decommissioned in the 1960s, is no longer standing, and was replaced by a skeleton tower.
View, enlarge & zoom panelEast Lighthouse history and historic photographs at Lighthouse Friends The linked 1930 East End Lighthouse photograph is credited to the Canadian Coast Guard.
02Completed panelBuilt in 1905, the West Lighthouse was an octagonal wooden structure with a polygonal iron lantern and was originally visible from 13 miles away. It was later decommissioned, no longer stands, and was replaced by a skeleton tower.
View, enlarge & zoom panelWest Lighthouse history and historic photographs at Lighthouse Friends The linked 1952 West End Lighthouse photograph is credited to the Canadian Coast Guard.
03Completed panelBuilt in 1907 on the southwest coast, the South Lighthouse is a 7.9-metre square, tapered wooden tower. It is the only surviving lighthouse of the three originally on Pictou Island and served marine traffic travelling to and from the island wharf. The federal government has designated it a Heritage Lighthouse.
View, enlarge & zoom panelSouth Lighthouse history and historic photographs at Lighthouse Friends The linked 1906 South Lighthouse photograph is credited to Library and Archives Canada.
04Completed panelCompleted in 1910 on land donated by Charles “Deacon” MacCallum, the church was later named in recognition of student minister Archibald Sutherland, who coordinated the building effort. It served as an island spiritual and social centre. Its features include commemorative stained-glass windows, a historic pump organ, wartime plaques, and Nova Scotia tartan curtains.
View, enlarge & zoom panel
05Completed panelReached by a quarter-mile path, the Pioneer Cemetery includes approximately 70 marked graves as well as additional unmarked graves. It is maintained by the Pictou Island Church and Pioneer Cemetery Committee. PIHS is cleaning and documenting the stones and clearing land toward the fence.
View, enlarge & zoom panelThree school buildings helped generations of Pictou Island children learn close to home. The surviving school, built in 1958, later became the island's community centre and returned to part-time classroom use during the 1980s and 1990s.
The first schoolhouse was built near the middle of the island in the 1850s. After it burned, a second one-room schoolhouse opened on the site in 1874. At the island's population peak, the building was too small for all enrolled students to attend at once. Enrollment reached about 60 and a second teacher was hired in 1937.
The present building, about three kilometres from the wharf, replaced the 1874 schoolhouse in 1958. It was designed by William West of Hopewell, Nova Scotia. Declining enrollment ended regular classes in 1971 as more families sought schooling and employment on the mainland.
The community adapted the former school as a community centre and it was used again as a part-time school beginning in 1985. In 1991, a teacher spent half of the school term on the island teaching primary to Grade 6. Middle- and high-school students studied by correspondence and generally moved to the mainland for Grades 11 and 12.
The building served as a school during fall and winter and as a community centre during summer. When children no longer lived year-round on the island, it returned to full-time community use. Today it supports meetings and events and provides a small library, public Wi-Fi, computer and printing access, children's activities, and heritage facilities.
Enlarge & zoomPIHS welcomes class photographs, teacher names, school records, and memories from former students.
Beginning in 1871, lobster factories transformed fishing, work, and settlement around Pictou Island's shoreline. Five factories were operating by 1908. Although the last canneries disappeared about a century ago, Factory Road, shoreline traces, trap houses, photographs, and community memory preserve their story.
The people of Pictou Island have fished for their supper since the very beginning. Even before settlement in the mid to late 1810s, the aboriginal people‘s, the French and the English recognized the potential in the waters of Pictou Island. However, as late as the 1881 census, only one person self identified as a fisherman.
The people who came here were farmers in the old country and farmers here. At that time there was little refrigeration (unless you count November to March). The boats were small and powered by possibly by sail, but more likely with oars. A commercial fishery at that time wasn’t feasible. They fished to put food on the table, and lobster were so plentiful that they could walk into the waters along the shore and grab them.
With the coming of the can in 1847 there was potential for change. Business men knew of the legendary bounty off Pictou Island, and if they could not bring the fish to the factories on the mainland, the factories would come to them.
The first factory arrived in 1871 and was located at Bob’s Hollow near where Kirby Veevers is now. It was opened by Dan and George MacDonald and followed soon after by a factory at the West End opened by William McClure from Pictou.
It is interesting to note that a stone in the Pioneer Cemetery on Pictou Island reads “Sacred to the Memory of Capt. Robt. MacDonald. A native of Pictou Island 1838-1893 Who sailed six years as an officer on the missionary ship Day Spring. Drowned off Pictou Island while in the employee of Wm McClure, who has erected this stone to the memory of a faithful employee.”.
It is ironic that Robert sailed all over the world and drowned while captaining the smack for William McClure in the waters off Pictou Island.
Over the course of the next 50 years, lots of factories popped up around the shores of Pictou Island. From as far away as Boston came a company, Shedd and Knox Limited, and they built at the East End on land leased from William Hogg. When his land passed to his son James, the younger Mr. Hogg realized the lease hadn’t been officially recorded and taking Shedd and Knox to court, he was able to reclaim the land and thus take over the factory. No fool he, he proceeded to go around the island and make recorded agreements with any farm that had a likely spot for a factory to save these rights for himself in the future. He also petitioned the government of the day to issue new factory licenses only if the proposed factory was more than 3 miles from an existing factory. Meanwhile out at John Dan’s Cove, known as Factory Cove at that time, Prince Edward Islander, John Dan MacLeod, and a group of Prince Edward Island fishermen opened a factory, soon to be followed by two more.
It’s difficult to follow the actual rise and fall of factories on Pictou Island but overtime many passed to James Hogg, and when he left the island, he sold his rights to Fred Magee Ltd. of New Brunswick, who became the major factory owner on the Island. In 1908, there were five factories operating on Pictou Island, three owned by Fred Magee.
As the factories boomed the stock began to fall, and as early as 1871 fishermen were not to catch berried or soft shelled lobster, nor fish in July and August. In 1882 fishermen were to be licensed and there was no season from July 15 to December 31. Berried lobsters could be kept, but the eggs were scraped off and saved at the factory, a job for 13-year-old Jack “Happy” MacDonald. They were then transported to the hatchery at Bayview, which opened in 1892, one of the most prominent on the eastern seaboard. It wasn’t, however, hugely successful. They could hatch the eggs, but the larva didn’t thrive, and when they tried to improve this, it became prohibitively expensive. The hatcheries were phased out around 1920.
There was no limit on the number of traps to be fished and some fishermen fished 500 or even 1000 traps with a small boat powered by two men with oars. Leaving at first light and back before noon, they would haul some traps one day and others the next, in the early days for as little as $.40-$.50 per hundred lobsters no matter the weight.
In 1906 the first gasoline engines appeared, often with a single cylinder and called the Make and Break engine. Ron MacDonald remembered somebody from Pictou who had one when he was a kid. There was no hiding in the fog for that guy, those engines went along bang bang bang, but by the time Ron was fishing, most of fishermen were using old car engines.
The factories provided work. The obvious of course, a place to sell the catch, and in the early years, the factories provided the traps and gear. As the fishing got less profitable, they sold the gear to the fishermen, often financing the sale. This turned the upkeep over to the fishermen, and of course, they sold them what they needed for that too. The old adage, “sold my soul to the company store”.
There was work cooking for the workers, there was work cooking and cleaning lobster, there was work soldering cans closed and after they have been put in the retort machine, a giant pressure cooker, work poking holes in the cans to let off steam (another job for Jack “Happy”). Not to worry, they soldered the holes closed again. There was a saying though, “Green in the water, red in the pot, black in the can.”. There was work providing wood to fuel the boilers, there was work taking away the lobster shells which were spread on the land and provided fertilizer. There was work hauling water to the East End factory that had no well.
Many of the workers came from away because, with five factories, Pictou Islanders couldn’t provide enough workers. Most came from Prince Edward Island but also from the mainland and from New Brunswick. This raises another benefit, some some fresh DNA as people met and married and stayed or moved away.
But after half a century on the Island, things began to change; the gasoline engine meant faster trips to the mainland, commercial ice meant perishables could be transported. There was less demand for canned lobster as the demand for live grew. The stocks were being depleted, and then World War I, which meant a loss of European markets and money owed from over there was not received. Hard times for the Packers, and by the early 1920s, only Magee‘s factories at the East End and at the end of Factory Road were still running. It would seem the last cans of lobster went off the Island sometime between 1923 and 1926 and the so called New Factory closed. The East End factory continued a bit longer processing herring, knobbed, brined and barrelled, but it was gone by 1930.
And so, these little villages began to disappear. The older people remember the tales of their parents and grandparents and remember seeing traces: a boiler halfway from the beach to the Breakwater at the East End, an old well casing on the west side of John Dan’s Cove, bits and pieces sticking out of the sand at the end of Factory Road, and of course the trap houses, some still in use.
In our heyday, after the factories closed, there might be two or three smacks buying at the Wharf and at the East End, but with only two fishermen selling at the Pictou Island wharf, in 2024 the smack became a thing of the past. Hurricane Fiona gave us a temporary glimpse of the past at John Dan’s Cove and at the New Factory site, but the sands have taken back what was borrowed. As the Pictou Island Heritage Society celebrates 10 years, we remember the factories that have been gone now for 100 years.
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoomHistorical account contributed by Brenda Spence MacLeod and edited for clarity and accessible online reading. PIHS welcomes corrections, factory locations, worker names, photographs, and family stories.
Island accounts and memories
These stories bring together material from PIHS interpretive panels, island tradition, archival research, and published historical accounts. Open the linked panel or source where one is available to explore the story further.
In March 1901, passengers from the icebound steamer Stanley reached Pictou Island and remained with island families for a week. Among them was a travelling comedy troupe, which thanked the community by staging a performance in the post office—reported at the time as the island's first theatrical production.
Read the Backyard History article ↗In February 1903, the government steamer Minto spent nine days trapped in Northumberland Strait ice. Contemporary reports indicate that about 47 passengers left under crew direction, walking roughly seven miles to Pictou Island while crew members hauled their luggage in an iron-runner iceboat. After reaching the island, the travellers changed their plans and continued toward the Nova Scotia mainland. The later Sailstrait account also examines how a more sensational newspaper version distorted the episode.
Read On foot across the floes at Sailstrait ↗Island tradition says the final keeper arranged an alarm clock beside the lamp rather than beside his bed. At sunrise, the winding mechanism pulled a line connected to the lantern switch, extinguishing the light while the keeper remained at home.
Read the South Lighthouse panel →When Spike MacDonald's boat lost power on a mail trip, islanders lit the normally dormant East and West lights. The Caribou Island keeper responded by lighting his beacon, giving the crew bearings as they improvised a sail and worked back toward Pictou Island.
Read the West Lighthouse panel →After repeated wrecks near the east end, a lighthouse was built in 1853. Officials disagreed over its location because the chosen site primarily served Nova Scotia traffic, but the light was eventually authorized and placed in service.
Read the East Lighthouse panel →During the 1884 salvage of the steamship Inveralt, a sudden northeast gale placed the salvage crews in danger. Pictou Islanders launched their lifeboat and rescued several men. The rescuers were swept out to sea before landing safely on Big Island the following day, and members of the crew later received government awards for their courage.
Read the East Lighthouse panel →William Hogg became the first East Lighthouse keeper when the light entered service in 1854. His brother Andrew followed him in 1862, and Andrew's son James continued the family's service from 1881. Together, the three Hogg keepers covered much of the lighthouse's early history.
Read the East Lighthouse panel →Jack Happy began working at Fred Magee's cannery at thirteen and owned fishing gear of his own by seventeen. After years fishing lobster, he became keeper of the West Lighthouse at twenty-six. Late in life, he could still recall selling lobster for only three cents a pound.
Read the West Lighthouse panel →The West Lighthouse's rotating apparatus was driven by a 700-pound weight that had to be wound at dusk and again around midnight. Its annual kerosene supply was landed on the beach, where neighbours helped haul the heavy barrels uphill to the storage shed.
Read the West Lighthouse panel →Hugh “Big Hughie” MacLean sold waterfront land to Shedd and Moore for a sawmill, lobster cannery, and landing pier. A half-acre portion was later acquired for the South Lighthouse, placing the new navigation light beside one of the island's busiest working sites.
Read the South Lighthouse panel →Island lore says Katie Rankin agreed to move from Trenton only if Lauchie provided the island's largest house and an indoor toilet. The large white house met the first condition; the new plumbing, however, reportedly never worked as intended.
Read the South Lighthouse panel →Coastal erosion threatened the island's original burial ground. In 1890, a new half-acre site was purchased north of the main road, with a long right-of-way for a horse and wagon. The first trustees were responsible for moving the surviving headstones, while older stones became memorials to graves already lost to the sea.
Read the Pioneer Cemetery panel →Families selected suitable wood, dried and stored it until it was needed, and relied on skilled island carpenters to build and line caskets. Handles and engraved nameplates were added locally. The panel records that the last island-made casket was used in March 1974.
Read the Pioneer Cemetery panel →After decades of outmigration, the old cemetery became overgrown with dense trees and thorny black locust. Ron MacDonald organized descendants, donors, and volunteers, and in 1991 the community cleared the site, raised fallen stones, and restored access to the burial ground.
Read the Pioneer Cemetery panel →For generations, island worship took place in homes and later the schoolhouse. Islanders contributed money or labour toward their own church, which opened in 1910 with services in Gaelic and English. The building later became a shared centre for worship, music, gatherings, and community events.
Read the Sutherland Church panel →As a young student minister, Archibald Sutherland encouraged the island congregation to build a church of its own. Charles “Deacon” MacCallum donated the land, and Sutherland spent the next several years coordinating the effort. The building was later named in recognition of his work.
Read the Sutherland Church panel →The 1925 Church Union vote divided the congregation almost evenly. Presbyterians initially remained in the church while United Church members returned to the schoolhouse. Islanders soon agreed that maintaining two congregations was impractical, so they worshipped together and alternated Presbyterian and United student ministers.
Read the Sutherland Church panel →After PICA assumed responsibility for the church, island families helped replace its windows and the building continued to host services, concerts, and community events. A provincial grant awarded in 2024, combined with community funds, supported major restoration of the structure and exterior.
Read the Sutherland Church panel →Photographs on the panels
These working copies have been extracted from the interpretive panels. Select an image to enlarge it or contribute names, dates, places, and corrections. Higher-resolution originals can replace these copies later without changing their records.
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoomIsland life
The services, vessels, industries, and people that sustained the community and connected Pictou Island with the mainland.
Before regular air and ferry connections, the iceboat provided a year-round link with the mainland. Vincent Turple built the preserved iceboat in 1940, and Spike MacDonald captained it until 1951, when mail-plane service took over part of its role. A historic photograph identifies Eddie Glover, Billy MacMillan Sr., and Punch Patterson with an iceboat. The preserved iceboat was donated to the Northumberland Fisheries Museum in 2008.
Ice boats were meant primarily for the carriage of mail.
Passengers, if able-bodied, were expected to help the ice boat crew. However, women, elderly passengers, and people who were sick had to pay a fare. A man could stay in the boat as well, but had to pay a hefty fare to cross. If the journey became rough enough, he was also expected to get out and help.
Even a $2 fare was a lot of money at the time, considering a week's rent cost $1.75 on the mainland and a week's groceries cost just over $6.00.
Sometimes a passenger was too weak or too sick to help the crew at all. This special passenger usually did not have to pay the fare because the crossing was considered an emergency.
Explore Ice: A Historic Link for Pictou Islanders →Read the 1903 Minto evacuation story →Organized ferry service dates to 1910. Over time, different vessels and captains maintained the island's essential connection with the mainland. Visit PictouIsland.com for current travel information.
A twice-weekly mail-plane service operated during the 1940s and 1950s. Air delivery carried mail, parcels, groceries, and at times supported urgent transportation.
Fishing and agriculture shaped island livelihoods. Several lobster canneries operated during the nineteenth century, and lobster fishing remained a major source of income through much of the twentieth century.
People and working life
Discover community care, wartime service, shipbuilding, agriculture, and the people whose work sustained island life.
Margaret MacDonald served as Pictou Island's resident nurse for more than 30 years. She travelled to Montreal for nursing training, worked for several years in Massachusetts, and returned when her sister became ill. She remained on Pictou Island and became responsible for treatment and care within the community.
During the Second World War, Pictou County's industrial activity grew as demand increased for ships and other wartime production. Several Pictou Island residents served during the war, including Ralph Hooper, a member of the Royal Canadian Engineers.
Shipbuilding complemented fishing and agriculture in the island economy. Two notable operations were Adamson's Shipyard at the east end of Pictou Island and Vincent Turple's boatbuilding business. Their work links island skill and enterprise with the wider maritime life of the Northumberland Strait.
Island households combined fishing with agriculture and other seasonal work. Farms helped support families, while roads, fields, shore workplaces, and factory sites connected daily labour across the island. These surviving landscapes show that Pictou Island's economy depended on several kinds of work rather than a single industry.
Andrew MacFarlane became East Lighthouse keeper in 1893 and served for 34 years. Born on Pictou Island in 1855, he was among the island lifeboat crew recognized by the Canadian government for the 1884 Inveralt rescue.
Read the complete panel →William MacDonald served at the East Lighthouse from 1927 to 1928, the shortest posting among its keepers. He had served in the Canadian Railway Force during the First World War. He and his wife Willena, known as Lena Bill, later returned to the west end of the island.
Read the complete panel →Archie MacDonald kept the East Light from 1928 until 1960. He had served in the Canadian Railway Force during the First World War and later returned to Pictou Island, where he and Charlotte MacLean raised their family.
Read the complete panel →Farmer Charles Dan Patterson became the first keeper of the West Lighthouse when it opened in 1905. He served until 1932. He and Agnes MacCallum raised a large island family.
Read the complete panel →Jack Happy began working at Magee's cannery at thirteen and acquired fishing gear of his own by seventeen. He fished lobster for decades and served as West Lighthouse keeper from 1932 until the light was automated in 1960.
Read the complete panel →Big Hughie MacLean was a farmer and the first keeper of the South Lighthouse, serving from 1907 to 1910. Land connected with his family property had earlier supported a sawmill, cannery, and landing pier before part of the site was acquired for the light.
Read the complete panel →Lauchie Rankin served two periods as South Lighthouse keeper, from 1910 to 1912 and again from 1936 to 1945. He also operated the island's sawmill and maintained the family farm.
Read the complete panel →Big Jack MacLean served as South Lighthouse keeper from 1912 until 1936. His property west of Big Hughie's was remembered for its stone fences, made from rocks gathered across the land.
Read the complete panel →Edward Rankin Jr. became keeper of the South Lighthouse in 1945 and continued until 1965. Island tradition credits him with the alarm-clock mechanism that automatically extinguished the light at sunrise.
Read the complete panel →Student minister Archibald Sutherland encouraged the congregation to build a church, coordinated the effort, and helped secure donated land. Sutherland Memorial Church was later named in recognition of his work.
Read the complete panel →The church panel identifies Myrna Turple, Vincent Turple, Beverly Milligan, Al MacDonald, Eric Scanlan, Sarah MacDonald, Bill MacMillan, Chris Stafford, Jane MacDonald, and Ron MacDonald in this community photograph.
Read the complete panel →The cemetery panel identifies Al MacDonald, Sarah MacDonald, Kevin MacDonald, Nancy MacDonald, Bill MacMillan, Maureen Hall, Cameron MacDonald, Ronnie MacDonald, Molly Harding, Moira Harding, Nathan MacDonald, and Dave Harding in the restoration crew photograph.
Read the complete panel →People · Family-name index
This working index brings together surnames found in the museum's photographs, panels, oral histories, community records, and historical interpretation. It is evidence-based but not yet a complete census or genealogy.
21 of 21 documented surnames shown
Named in the South Lighthouse photographic record.
Add a family record or correction →Named in the historic iceboat photograph.
Add a family record or correction →Named in the Pioneer Cemetery restoration record.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in cemetery restoration and oral-history records.
Add a family record or correction →William, Andrew, and James Hogg served as East Lighthouse keepers.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in family photographs, school records, and wartime remembrance.
Add a family record or correction →Named in the 1942 Sunday School class photograph.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in church and Sunday School records.
Add a family record or correction →One of the most frequently documented surnames in the present museum collection.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in family photographs and lighthouse interpretation.
Add a family record or correction →Documented across family, farming, fishing, church, and oral-history records.
Add a family record or correction →Confirmed spelling used throughout the museum records.
Add a family record or correction →Associated with the island's lobster-cannery history; ownership details remain under review.
Add a family record or correction →Represented by the Lorne Matheson archival photograph collection.
Add a family record or correction →Named in the Sutherland Memorial Church community photograph.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in the iceboat photograph and lighthouse history.
Add a family record or correction →Extensively represented in the Rankin-Sibley collection and island interpretation.
Add a family record or correction →Named in the Sutherland Memorial Church community photograph.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in family-property and church community records.
Add a family record or correction →Associated with the organization and naming of Sutherland Memorial Church.
Add a family record or correction →Documented in iceboat, boatbuilding, and church community history.
Add a family record or correction →Research beyond this website
There is real value in publishing searchable transcriptions, but each census must be presented as a dated record—not as a finished family tree. Early returns were organized within the wider District or County of Pictou, later boundaries sometimes combined Pictou Island with Fisher's Grant, and by 1901 the island had its own subdistrict: Pictou District 38, Pictou Island A(1).
Early settlement accounts and the 1817 district census are the starting point for named households. A Pictou County entry must not be labelled an island household unless the return or another source makes that connection explicit.
Open the 1817 District of Pictou census ↗The earlier census geography combined places that were separated in later tabulations. Names from this return require location-level checking before they are assigned to Pictou Island.
This is the first located return in the current research trail with a clearly identified Pictou Island subdistrict and is the strongest candidate for the first complete public transcription.
Later island census records can show new households, spelling changes, marriage links, occupations, and departures when compared carefully with the 1901 baseline.
The Pictou Island census subdivision recorded 159 residents: 70 male and 89 female residents, organized into 36 families living in 36 houses. These totals are verified community-level census data; they do not yet identify the surnames of those households.
Library and Archives Canada digital manifest for the Pictou Island census subdistrict.
Open the Library and Archives Canada record ↗Automated Genealogy identifies four registered pages for Pictou Island A(1). Its transcription must be checked against the federal images.
Open the Pictou District index ↗This research dataset reports the island's 1901 population, sex, marital-status, family, and housing totals from Census of Canada tabulations.
Open the Pictou Island census profile ↗Nova Scotia Archives provides searchable early census, assessment, and poll-tax records, including Pictou Island as a place category.
Search Nova Scotia Archives ↗Eric Ross's 1987 local history is listed in the Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library local-history collection and may provide family and settlement context.
Open the regional library collection guide ↗Each published row should show the census year, page and line, dwelling and family number, the name exactly as written, a normalized spelling only when supported, age, relationship, occupation where recorded, a link to the original page, and a transcription-confidence note. Uncertain letters stay uncertain; contributors can propose corrections without overwriting the source reading.
The four-page transcription service was unavailable during the July 26, 2026 review. The census totals above are verified, but a name-by-name transcription still requires access to the four original Schedule 1 pages. No surname has been promoted from a search snippet, a county-wide result, or an inferred family connection.
Current stewardship
These projects connect interpretation with practical care for the island's heritage places and objects.
PIHS uses the Heritage Centre for historical material, exhibits, and interpretation. Preservation work includes caring for the building and improving the storage of books, paper, signs, photographs, artifacts, and other heritage material. The Iceboat exhibit connects visitors with the history of winter transportation between the island and mainland.
The historic hearse and its shelter remain active stewardship priorities. Work focuses on protecting the structure and the hearse from moisture, insects, and deterioration while improving interpretation of island funeral traditions and folklore.
The surviving 1907 South Lighthouse is both an interpreted heritage place and an active repair priority. It is the only remaining one of the island's three original lighthouses. Its completed panel documents the lighthouse's role in navigation, fishing, and traffic to the island wharf.
The Society's 2024 Heritage Day celebration concluded with a community musical performance. This video is preserved from the PIHS Facebook record.
Historic sites
The Heritage Centre, Hearse House, South Lighthouse, and completed interpretive panels preserve the island's material history.
Enlarge & zoomThe Heritage Centre holds historical material and interpretation associated with Pictou Island. The preserved iceboat represents the island's difficult winter connection with the mainland.
Enlarge & zoomThe Hearse House shelters the historic island hearse. This preserved illustration records the vehicle itself and complements the photograph of its protective building.
Enlarge & zoomBuilt in 1907 to mark the harbour and wharf, the South Lighthouse is the island's only surviving original lighthouse. It was converted from kerosene to an unmanned solar light, later designated as a Heritage Lighthouse, and acquired with its surrounding land by the community.
Open the completed South Lighthouse panel →Built in 1905, the West Lighthouse included a keeper's dwelling, supply shed, and rotating kerosene reflector. It was later replaced by an unmanned tower and no longer stands.
1952 photograph courtesy of the Canadian Coast Guard.The original East Lighthouse was constructed in 1853 and first lit in 1854. A new two-storey lighthouse and keeper's dwelling replaced it in 1930; that building was replaced by a skeletal tower in 1962.
1930 photograph courtesy of the Canadian Coast Guard.Archive record
Enlarge & zoomThe inscription records service number F.79000, Lance Corporal J.R. Hooper of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, who died on January 26, 1945, aged 28.
The supplied archive filename identifies this as a Hooper gravestone, and the photograph is credited to Cathy Gibson. The photograph itself does not establish where the stone is located.
Oral history archive
Seven interview sessions recorded in 2018 preserve first-hand memories of work, family, school, transportation, community traditions, and change on Pictou Island.
Lorraine MacMillan recalled a one-room school serving many grades, the effect of families leaving for mainland schooling, the island cookhouse, card parties, quilting and knitting gatherings, church life, weddings, and shared meals.
“Everybody got along good together.”
— Lorraine MacMillan
Ron MacDonald described growing up without modern utilities, his mother Margaret MacDonald’s nursing service, mail and winter travel, farming and food preservation, attending school on the mainland, changes in the fishery, and returning to live year-round.
“I’ve seen it all—from nothing to the same as the Mainland.”
— Ron MacDonald
David Harding and Maureen Hull discussed joining other young adults on the island in the 1970s, finding work in the fishery, learning from established residents, raising children, winter routines, and changes in community services and communications.
“That’s one thing about an island—you do all have to get along.”
— David Harding and Maureen Hull
Gretchen MaGuire remembered arriving in spring 1974, establishing new households, entering an island fishing community, the importance of labour and cooperation, the school’s closure and later teaching arrangements, and the island’s need for young families and workers.
“We had the chance to turn that one household into three.”
— Gretchen MaGuire
Across the interviews
Choose a participant beneath any theme to move directly to the related interview overview.
Memories of the one-room school, mainland schooling, the 1971 closure, and later part-time teaching show how education shaped family decisions and the island’s year-round population.
Fishing, farming, food preservation, household work, and skills learned from established residents reveal how island families combined livelihoods and shared knowledge.
Mail service, winter crossings, changing utilities, and new communications trace the practical challenges of living in the Strait and the technologies that reduced isolation.
The cookhouse, card parties, quilting, church, shared meals, and everyday cooperation show that community life was both social and necessary.
Accounts of young adults arriving, finding work in the fishery, raising children, and establishing homes document a period of renewal after major population decline.
Families left for schooling, employment, and services, while others returned or created new lives on the island. Together, the interviews describe change as an ongoing process rather than a single event.
New archival collections
Forty-nine photographs from two family collections now join the virtual museum. The complete set of 34 Andrea Rankin Sibley photographs documents island families, farms, fishing, the wharf, recreation, and community gatherings. Fifteen photographs from the Lorne Matheson collection are presented as identification records because their original filenames contain little reliable catalogue information.
Captions distinguish documented information from material that still requires community review. Use “Tell us about this photo” to contribute names, relationships, places, dates, and corrections.
Browse the photographs below →Island collection
Search or browse the growing collection, now including forty-nine photographs from the Rankin-Sibley and Matheson family collections alongside PIHS events, completed panels, and the Society's Facebook archive. Select any photograph to enlarge and zoom it, then help PIHS identify people, places, and dates.
133 of 133 photographs shown
Send a digital copy for PIHS to review, or ask us about scanning an original.
A view of Pictou Island’s East End from Darrell Rankin’s slides. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Logan MacDonald and Vernie Rankin at the East End. Photograph from a Darrell Rankin slide; Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Historic view of the island wharf, preserved from Hazel MacDonald’s collection. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Jack Rankin bought a farm with a log house and built this house with Mary before their 1910 marriage, using wood brought from Wood Islands. The small building at right was used as a store. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Jack and Mary Rankin. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
An island Sunday school picnic at Jack and Mary Rankin’s property. The archival information supplied with the collection identifies many participants; PIHS welcomes corrections and additional context. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Brothers Vernie and Duncan Rankin. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Vernie and Isabel Rankin with hockey sticks on Pictou Island. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Angus Hector “Happy Angus” MacDonald and Adeline “Dollie” MacFarlane. They farmed and kept horses on the property later associated with the Stafford family. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Henry “Bush” MacDonald and Vernie Rankin. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A historic view of Torquil MacLean’s farm. The people shown are not yet identified in the available record. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Torquil and Isabella MacLean. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Hector MacLean, believed to be Torquil MacLean’s brother. The collection notes that he played bagpipes on the mainland boat journey for Vernie and Isabel’s 1944 wedding. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Dollie, Janie, Mamie, Bella (Isabella), Annie, and Ena—daughters of Charles and Annabel MacLean. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Annabel “Bella” McCallum (1853–1922), Isabella MacLean’s mother. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Isabel Hooper Rankin. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Teddy Hooper and Vernie Rankin. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Sidney, John Ralph, and Theodore “Teddy” Hooper, all of whom served during the Second World War. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A large family group from the Hooper and MacLean families. The supplied archival record identifies several people, but PIHS should confirm the complete arrangement before publishing a full name-by-name caption. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Island residents skating outdoors. The people and date are not confirmed in the available catalogue information. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Vernie Rankin aboard a fishing boat at the East End, preserved from a Darrell Rankin slide. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Cattle on the beach near the East End harbour, photographed in the 1970s or early 1980s and preserved from Darrell Rankin’s slides. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A portrait identified in the supplied collection record as Annabelle MacLean Hooper. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A second portrait of Torquil and Isabella MacLean, shown seated together. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A MacLean family group gathered beside a car and farmhouse. The complete arrangement of names should be confirmed through community review. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
The supplied record tentatively identifies the woman as Annabel or Bella McCallum. This identification remains unconfirmed. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A colour view of boats and fishing activity at the Pictou Island Wharf. The supplied record identifies Anderson MacLean, Teddy Hooper, Henry “Bush” MacDonald, Isabel and Vernie Rankin, and Logan MacDonald among those present; PIHS welcomes confirmation. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A wide view across the fields toward Jack and Mary Rankin’s farm. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
An elevated colour view of Jack and Mary Rankin’s house, outbuildings, fields, and shoreline. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Jack Rankin photographed outdoors in work clothes. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Jack Rankin seated at home in 1956. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Jack Rankin standing among tall garden flowers. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
A historic exterior photograph of the house Jack and Mary Rankin built before their 1910 marriage. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
Animals gathered beside the barn at Torquil MacLean’s farm. The person shown has not been confirmed in the available record. Andrea Rankin Sibley collection.
An early aircraft shown in a decorative album mount. The people, place, aircraft, and date require identification. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic family photograph awaiting identification of the people, place, and date. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic family photograph awaiting identification of the people, place, and date. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic family photograph awaiting identification of the people, place, and date. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Historic island photograph awaiting identification and context. Lorne Matheson collection.
Family photograph preserved in the Lorne Matheson collection. The people and date are not yet confirmed.
Family photograph preserved in the Lorne Matheson collection. The people and date are not yet confirmed.
Family photograph preserved in the Lorne Matheson collection. The people and date are not yet confirmed.
Historic family photograph preserved in the Lorne Matheson collection. PIHS welcomes names, relationships, locations, and an approximate date.
Several Pictou Island residents served during the Second World War. Ralph Hooper served with the Royal Canadian Engineers and died overseas.
The stone records F.79000, Lance Corporal J.R. Hooper of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, who died January 26, 1945, aged 28. The archive credits Cathy Gibson. The burial location and J.R. Hooper’s complete family connection to Pictou Island are not yet confirmed.
This is the former West End Lighthouse, later replaced by an unmanned light tower. Pictou Island also had lights at the east end and near the wharf. Lighthouse service provided long- and short-term island employment and, at some locations, a home for the keeper's family.
This 1952 photograph shows the former West End Lighthouse, keeper's dwelling, and outbuilding above the shoreline. Photograph courtesy of the Canadian Coast Guard; preserved online by Lighthouse Friends.
Read the complete panel →This photograph shows the newly built 1930 East End Lighthouse, a two-storey lighthouse and keeper's dwelling that replaced the original tower constructed in 1853 and first lit in 1854. Photograph courtesy of the Canadian Coast Guard; preserved online by Lighthouse Friends.
Read the complete panel →Adamson's Shipyard at the east end and Vincent Turple's business were two notable boatbuilding operations. Newly built wooden boats were soaked in a pond so their boards would swell and seal the hulls.
Ferry service was established in 1910 and became a vital connection with the mainland. Many vessels and nearly ten captains served the route during its first century.
A twice-weekly mail-plane service began during the 1940s and 1950s, carrying mail, parcels, groceries, and occasionally providing urgent transportation.
Margaret MacDonald served as the island's resident nurse for more than 30 years. After training in Montreal and working in Massachusetts, she returned and cared for island residents.
Vincent Turple built the iceboat in 1940. Captained by Spike MacDonald until 1951, it provided a dependable winter connection. It was donated to the Northumberland Fisheries Museum in 2008.
Crew members and passengers haul an iceboat across rough Northumberland Strait ice. Source collection: Northumberland Fisheries Museum & Heritage Association's Community Stories exhibit, Ice: A Historic Link for Pictou Islanders. The photographer and date are not identified in the information currently available.
Lobster fishing has been central to island life and the economy since the nineteenth century. Several canneries once operated on the island; later catches were sold and processed on the mainland.
Factory Road led to one of Pictou Island's last operating lobster canneries. The island's final canned-lobster production appears to have ended between 1923 and 1926. This photograph was provided by Ray Hayman.
Read the complete panel →This historic photograph shows a Pictou Island lighthouse beside wooden outbuildings, with several people visible along the shoreline. If you can identify the location, approximate date, buildings, or people, please contact PIHS.
The cemetery is documented through historic photographs and ongoing work to record and care for its gravestones.
The illustrated timeline brings together the island's early land history, settlement, population growth, economic activity, migration, school closure, and transition into a smaller permanent and larger seasonal community. Open the image to examine every date and entry at full size.
Photographed on May 30, 2019, a wooden boat passes Sutherland Memorial Church—an unusual meeting of two parts of island heritage. Courtesy of Hugh MacLean. Contact PIHS if you can identify the boat, its builder, owner, or destination.
Photographed on May 30, 2019, a wooden boat passes Edward Rankin’s former house. Hugh MacLean recorded that the property was then owned by Bill Meeks, who was moving to the island from Sooke, British Columbia. Courtesy of Hugh MacLean. Contact PIHS if you can identify the boat.
This historic photograph shows the South Side Lighthouse near the island wharf, several fishing boats, and three people; the name MARITA is visible on one boat. Courtesy of Hugh MacLean. Contact PIHS if you can identify the people, boats, or approximate date.
This historic photograph records cattle being guided aboard a boat with several people assisting—evidence of the close relationship between island agriculture and marine transportation. Courtesy of Hugh MacLean. Contact PIHS if you can identify the people, vessel, location, or date.
The East End Lighthouse was constructed in 1853 on the western side of East End Cove and first lit in 1854. It followed years of concern about dangerous navigation near the reef. The original lighthouse was removed in 1962 and replaced by an unmanned skeleton tower.
Read the complete panel →Built in 1905, the 49-foot West End Lighthouse included a keeper's dwelling and supply shed. Its kerosene light used a 700-pound weight, wound at dusk and midnight, to rotate the reflector. The lighthouse was removed in 1965 after an unmanned tower replaced it.
Read the complete panel →The South Side or Wharf Lighthouse was built in 1907 to mark the recently constructed harbour and wharf. Its original kerosene reflector light was later replaced by a solar-powered light. It is the only one of Pictou Island's three original lighthouses still intact.
Read the complete panel →Lorraine MacDonald and Rena Ferguson are identified on the completed South Lighthouse panel as the two young girls standing on the lighthouse steps.
Read the complete panel →Sutherland Memorial Church was completed through island contributions of money and labour and opened in October 1910. Its first Sunday service welcomed approximately 150 adults, was conducted in Gaelic and English, and included eleven baptisms.
Read the complete panel →The completed church panel preserves this Sunday school picnic photograph from the 1940s. Islanders remembered the annual picnic, including Jack Rankin's magic tricks and homemade ice cream, as a beloved part of church and community life.
Read the complete panel →The church panel identifies Myrna Turple, Vincent Turple, Beverly Milligan, Al MacDonald, Eric Scanlan, Sarah MacDonald, Bill MacMillan, Chris Stafford, Jane MacDonald, and Ron MacDonald in this community photograph.
Read the complete panel →Student minister Archibald Sutherland encouraged the island congregation to build a church and spent several years organizing and coordinating the work. The building was later named Sutherland Memorial Church in recognition of his efforts.
Read the complete panel →The cemetery panel identifies Al MacDonald, Sarah MacDonald, Kevin MacDonald, Nancy MacDonald, Bill MacMillan, Maureen Hall, Cameron MacDonald, Ronnie MacDonald, Molly Harding, Moira Harding, Nathan MacDonald, and Dave Harding in the restoration crew photograph.
Read the complete panel →After Ron MacDonald began a fundraising campaign in 1989, island volunteers reclaimed the Pioneer Cemetery from dense black locust, spruce, and brush. Donations and a provincial pioneer-cemetery grant supported machinery needed to remove stumps and raise fallen stones.
Read the complete panel →This headstone was documented as part of the work to record and care for the Pioneer Cemetery. The cemetery contains marked and unmarked graves, and its stones preserve connections to early island families and their Scottish homelands.
Read the complete panel →The island's original burial ground stood near the shore and was threatened by erosion. In 1890, land north of the main road was purchased for the Pioneer Cemetery, and surviving memorial stones were moved while remains at the eroding original site were eventually lost to the sea.
Read the complete panel →Andrew MacFarlane became East Lighthouse keeper in 1893 and served for 34 years. Born on Pictou Island in 1855, he was among the island lifeboat crew recognized by the Canadian government for the 1884 Inveralt rescue.
William MacDonald served at the East Lighthouse from 1927 to 1928, the shortest posting among its keepers. He had served in the Canadian Railway Force during the First World War. He and his wife Willena, known as Lena Bill, later returned to the west end of the island.
Archie MacDonald kept the East Light from 1928 until 1960. He had served in the Canadian Railway Force during the First World War and later returned to Pictou Island, where he and Charlotte MacLean raised their family.
Farmer Charles Dan Patterson became the first keeper of the West Lighthouse when it opened in 1905. He served until 1932. He and Agnes MacCallum raised a large island family.
Jack Happy began working at Magee's cannery at thirteen and acquired fishing gear of his own by seventeen. He fished lobster for decades and served as West Lighthouse keeper from 1932 until the light was automated in 1960.
Big Hughie MacLean was a farmer and the first keeper of the South Lighthouse, serving from 1907 to 1910. Land connected with his family property had earlier supported a sawmill, cannery, and landing pier before part of the site was acquired for the light.
Lauchie Rankin served two periods as South Lighthouse keeper, from 1910 to 1912 and again from 1936 to 1945. He also operated the island's sawmill and maintained the family farm.
Big Jack MacLean served as South Lighthouse keeper from 1912 until 1936. His property west of Big Hughie's was remembered for its stone fences, made from rocks gathered across the land.
Edward Rankin Jr. became keeper of the South Lighthouse in 1945 and continued until 1965. Island tradition credits him with the alarm-clock mechanism that automatically extinguished the light at sunrise.
Island residents and visitors gather outdoors during PIHS's eighteenth annual LobsterFest on Saturday, June 6, 2026.
Guests share the annual LobsterFest meal, a community gathering and fundraiser for the Pictou Island Heritage Society, June 6, 2026.
Lobster donated and prepared for PIHS's 2026 LobsterFest. Island fishers have traditionally supported the event by contributing part of their catch.
Community members gather for the 2026 LobsterFest meal on Pictou Island.
Children explore the grounds during the June 6, 2026 LobsterFest gathering, with a model lighthouse and the South Lighthouse visible nearby.
Volunteers help with serving and cleanup during PIHS's annual LobsterFest fundraiser in 2026.
Guests enjoy the LobsterFest XVIII meal on June 6, 2026. Names and additional details can be submitted through the photograph's identification form.
Joyce MacLean (teacher); back row: Isabel Hooper, Thelma MacFarlane, Flossie MacLean, Annabelle MacLean; third row: Nina MacMillan, Fraser MacLean, Claire MacDonald, Howard Hooper; second row: Joan MacDonald, Lois MacCallum, Beatrice Ann MacCallum, Dawn Lewis; front row: Doris Ann MacLean, Alfie MacLean, Florence Rankin, Ethel MacMillan, Billie MacDonald, and Keith MacDonald. Published by PIHS January 28, 2017.
The Society's first project, begun before it was formally a society, restored the trap-house building that shelters Pictou Island's original horse-drawn hearse between the church and community centre. Published by PIHS January 10, 2017.
PIHS identified Eddie Glover, Billy MacMillan Sr., and Punch Patterson in this historic group photograph. Published March 8, 2023.
Back row: Hazel, Susie, Lena, Roy, Jimmy, Florence, Jennie Bell. Second row: Julia Mae, Jimmie, Kenny, Duncan, Alice, Annessie, May. Front row: Cassie, Angie, Mae, Net, Skit, Ona, Dollie. Published by PIHS February 8, 2024.
PIHS described this as a gathering to welcome a soldier home, probably in 1945. The people remain to be fully identified. Published February 25, 2024.
The photograph is marked 'Pictou Island' and appears to show the old east pier. A written date of 1846 is considered unlikely. PIHS asked the community for information about the vessel Morag. Published January 25, 2024.
Shared by James Turple and believed to show Ward MacCallum grading a road in the 1940s or 1950s, possibly away from the main road. PIHS requested further identification. Published December 9, 2019.
Ron MacDonald, son of longtime island nurse Margaret MacDonald, cuts the ribbon to officially open the Iceboat Exhibit. Published by PIHS August 1, 2019.
In 2023 PIHS appealed for photographs of keepers William Hogg, Andrew Hogg, James Hogg, Andrew MacFarlane, William 'Bill Cole' MacDonald, Archibald MacDonald, Hugh 'Big Hughie' MacLean, Lauchlan 'Lauchie' Rankin, John 'Big Jack' MacLean, Edward Rankin Jr., Charles Dan Patterson, and John 'Jack Happy' MacDonald while preparing the three lighthouse panels.
Ron MacDonald recorded his recollection of the traditional Pictou Island Auction 45 card-game rules for PIHS. Published August 8, 2023. Open the image to examine the complete record.
PIHS hosted its first old-time card party at the community centre in October 2022, bringing together card playing, sandwiches, sweets, and community company.
A second photograph from PIHS's first old-time card party at the community centre, held October 1, 2022.
Ron MacDonald, who recorded the old island rules, won both the 2023 tournament and its fundraising draw and donated the proceeds back to PIHS.
Sheila Rankin's painting interprets the surviving Pictou Island South Lighthouse. PIHS used it in a 2023 fundraising raffle.
Martin Brain won Sheila Rankin's South Lighthouse painting in 2023. PIHS noted that his great-great-grandfather, Hugh 'Big Hughie' MacLean, was the lighthouse's first keeper from 1907 to 1910.
Rob Boudreau and a crew of island residents carried out major church renovations. PIHS thanked Bonnie Rankin and Anna LeBlanc for preparing the grant application and Karla MacFarlane for helping the project through the funding process.
Volunteers landscaped around the Hearse House and Iceboat Exhibit during the Society's first annual work party on June 1, 2024.
Volunteers painted and cleaned the Hearse House and Iceboat Exhibit as part of the 2024 work party.
The 2024 work party built benches and a picnic table and cleaned and improved the surviving Wharf or South Lighthouse area.
One of two professional photographs made for PIHS by Caitlin Banks and The Agency and shared by the Society on June 22, 2024.
The second professional photograph made for PIHS by Caitlin Banks and The Agency and shared by the Society on June 22, 2024.
TJ prepares to pipe in the lobsters at PIHS's sixteenth annual LobsterFest in May 2024.
Christie and Scott cook the lobsters at PIHS's sixteenth annual LobsterFest in May 2024.
Corinne selects seating as the community gathers for PIHS's sixteenth annual LobsterFest.
The 2024 event raised more than $2,300 for PIHS, supported by volunteers and ten fishermen who each donated part of their catch.
A volunteer at PIHS's seventeenth annual LobsterFest in May 2025.
Community members dig into the meal at the seventeenth annual LobsterFest, PIHS's annual wharf fundraiser.
PIHS described this photograph as bringing together one of the island's longest-standing residents and one of its newest full-time residents.
Skipper Ronny is recognized during PIHS's seventeenth annual LobsterFest in May 2025.
Christie and Scott, described by PIHS as the event's annual visiting boilers, prepare the lobster. The Society thanked Jason Langille, Jason Rankin, Ryan Fleury, Kiel MacDonald, Jake Langille, Kevin Reid, Grant Rankin, Chuck MacLean, Myles MacLean, Trevor MacLean, Bill MacMillan, and Jeff Rankin for donating part of their catch.
A photograph from PIHS's fifteenth annual LobsterFest at the wharf. The event raised $2,105 for the Society.
Community members gather at the wharf during PIHS's fifteenth annual LobsterFest in May 2023.
Volunteers and participants at PIHS's fifteenth annual LobsterFest, the Society's principal annual fundraiser.
The first Society bottle drive was supported by island volunteers who stored, loaded, transported, and delivered refundable containers to the mainland bottle depot. PIHS thanked Caitlin, Skip, Janice, Billy, Jonathan, Colin, Patty, Jeff, Ed, Wendy, and Lorne.
Island volunteers load another shipment of refundable containers for the mainland. PIHS thanked Lorne and Wendy for hosting the collection, Jeff Rankin for sailing it across, and the volunteer loading crew.
Another load of donated refundable containers reaches the mainland. PIHS described the program, supported by Wendy, Lorne, and the loading and transportation volunteers, as a major source of fundraising.
Plan a visit
Pictou Island lies in the Northumberland Strait between Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Visitors come for beaches, community events, heritage places, quiet roads, and views across the Strait.
There is no bridge. Arrange transportation and accommodation before travelling; availability and schedules can change with the season and weather.
Visitor information reviewed July 26, 2026. Confirm transportation, accommodation, and seasonal access directly before travelling.
Getting here
With no bridge to the island, visitors arrive by boat or another available service. Confirm your crossing in advance, allow for weather changes, and bring the supplies you will need. Passenger transportation may be available through Pictou Island Charters.
Things to do
Begin with the clickable heritage map and completed interpretive panels. Visit the Iceboat Museum and Heritage Centre, Hearse House, South Lighthouse, Sutherland Memorial Church, and Pioneer Cemetery. Beaches, quiet roads, community events, and changing views of the Northumberland Strait are also part of an island visit. On the mainland, the Northumberland Fisheries Museum on the Pictou waterfront is another source of island and regional fishery history.
Where to stay
Accommodation is limited. Current island options include Pictou Island Wooden Tents, Pictou Island Yurts, and Inned of the Rainbow. Contact each host directly to confirm dates, services, and arrival arrangements before booking travel.
Island events
Event listings reviewed July 26, 2026. The shared island calendar remains the source for schedule changes.
Island Heritage Day featured a lighthouse tour, a bring-your-own lunch in East End Park, a visit to the updated Iceboat Museum, and a kitchen party at the church with Doris Mason, island history, piano, fiddle, guitars, and voices.
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoom
Enlarge & zoomUse the shared Pictou Island calendar for public updates and other island events.
Open the island calendarHelp build the record
Contact the Society if you can identify people, places, buildings, boats, or dates in a photograph; contribute a story; correct or expand an account; or ask about the collection.
If you have original photographs, albums, documents, or clippings, PIHS is willing to scan them so the digital record can be preserved while the originals remain with you.
Contribute to the archive
Paste proposed website wording into the form. Photographs, Word documents, and PDFs may be attached as private supporting material. Nothing changes publicly until PIHS reviews and approves it.